I am assuming you know Alexander and his Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. If not, it is a definite must to your child's library. But, in my case I am referring to the first cold that just happened to sync up with our 4 month sleep regression. Yes, all at once. We are doing better now.....better.....but, it has really been a tough one.
It all started about a week ago. I started to feel a lot of sinus pressure. I knew from the mom groups I'm in how important it is to continue to breastfeed your baby when you are sick, so I knew it was only a matter of time before she would show signs of feeling sick as well. We were already past the 4 1/2 month mark, so while I was hoping we would skip the regression, I knew there was a chance it was still going to happen. She has always been a pretty good sleeper (even though her nights and days were reversed in the beginning, as normal), so when we had a few days when we woke up at 6 am and went back to sleep, I was hoping that would be it.
And then came the cold/sinus infection. I did not get checked out, so I am not really sure what it was, but it was bad. Sinus pressure, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, stuffy, sore throat, tired.....you name it. Luckily, no fever. The first couple of days, she seemed fine. I thought maybe she would be ok. But, then she had 2 days of fussiness and more feedings and a lot of sleep. I could tell she was not feeling great. I called the Pediatrician, but they said if she is eating well, peeing enough and has no fever that there is no reason to bring her in unless I really want her to be seen. I decided to hold off unless she got worse. Especially since my body would produce antibodies for her that she would receive through my breast milk. It was a little heart wrenching to see her feeling so under the weather, but luckily after the two days she started to return to normal.
And then the nights started to get worse. Maybe it was brought on by the cold, or they just happened to sync up, but it just added to how awful I felt. She seemed to have it easy. Me, on the other hand, am trying to rest and get better and she has started waking up between 2 and 3, again around 6, and for the morning at 9. Maybe this does not seem so bad, and it isn't when she goes to bed at around 9:30/10, but when she used to go to bed at this time and sleep straight until around 10, with an occasional 6/7 am feeding, it is hard. Especially when sick.
The worst part is that my nephew was born a few days ago (Welcome to the World Dylan!). We are so anxious to meet him. I am hoping that our plan to see him 2 weeks from now comes with better sleep and no germs that we may still be carrying. Also, some tips on how to survive a sleep regression, lol. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that we are teething like crazy and growing (my peanut at almost 5 months is still at 24 1/2 in and almost 13 lbs). Sophie the Giraffe is luckily helping us out with the teething part. We love to read the books as well. The fact that we soak our clothes with drool several times a day causing more laundry than ever is just more to add to everything else we have going on, but the easiest part of it all. For now.....
Have tips on how to survive a sleep regression? Tips for teething? Leave a comment below. I'm sure I am not the only one who could use some advise.... ;).


No comments:
Post a Comment