Thursday, June 14, 2018

Where to Start....

There are a few things I did the week I found out I was pregnant that have made all of this a lot easier. The first thing was that I joined all of the local Mom groups on Facebook in my area (I love on Long Island, so there are A LOT!!). While, there are a lot of excellent things you can learn from these moms, the most helpful group was one called 'First Time Moms of Merrick and Bellmore'. It was created by one of the Mom's To Be in a Mom Group that wanted a separate group for those of us who were expecting. Everyone in the group is expecting either in 2018 or early 2019. It is a great place to talk about things you are going through, and see who else is going through the same exact thing (like sharp pains around your belly button or swelling hands and feet on a hot day). It is a great place to ask advice about what other mom's to be are using for things like stretch marks, nausea, and pain relief (though keep in mind, every person is different and you should NEVER to anything without checking with your doctor FIRST!!!). It is also comforting to know you are not alone.

Don't forget about those other groups, though. I have learned that when you ask someone with a child a question about pregnancy, the most common thing you will hear is "I don't remember". And no wonder. There are a lot of things going on with my body right now that I can't wait to forget. And pregnancy brain really is a thing. It is easy to forget things like what were you doing? or did you eat? Most of the mom's in those groups will not be able to answer your questions, but they will be amazingly helpful in other ways. Not everyone is financially prepared when they are expecting, and even if you are, a baby is expensive. I was surprised at how many mom's were happy to give away things they no longer needed for free to new and expecting moms who need it. Without a back story, my situation is not ideal right now, but these moms have helped me to prepare and get ready more than I can ever thank them for. I have received free pregnancy books, a crib, a changing table, 2 car seats (an infant one and a child one), diapers, formula, clothing and more. None of this I would ever be able to afford on my own. They are my guardian angels.

Who would have thought that Facebook would be the place to connect with such great people. The First Time Mom group has regular meet-ups and I'm sure these will become play dates. Other moms are always talking about experiences they have at different places with open play and activities for kids of all ages. I am not even fully sure what a Sippy Cups is, but I know I will be checking it out! Building your support system should be your first priority. Sharing birth dates, gender info, gender reveals, shower info is something you need just as much and support from family and friends, believe me. There are somethings and some days they just won't understand.

Can't find groups like these in your area? Start one. Or a few. If you make it, they will come. Join what groups you can in the area and post about your group. Get the word out. Being an admin may not always be easy, but I'm sure if you ask, others in the group will offer to help. It will be worth it!! Trust me!!!

And, last but not least, get some books. Usually, there are mom's in the groups who are ready and willing to part with theirs (as they can take up room and are most helpful only during your first pregnancy), so it doesn't hurt to post and ask before buying new. The ones I recommend are 'What to Expect when You're Expecting', 'Eating Well when You're Expecting', Your Pregnancy Week by Week' and 'The Fourth Trimester'.  They contain A LOT of really good and useful information. You may not need all of them, but try at least one. I got them for free early on and barely looked at them until halfway through my second trimester (and kind of regretted it). There was more answers to questions I had than I thought there would be.

Have a similar experience, question or something you would like to add? Please comment below!! I love to hear from other people and hear experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment