Did I just show my age? Aww well. For those who do not understand the title, it is a play on the opening song to the TV show Step-By-Step. Anyway.... Welcome to your second trimester!!! Yay!!! You made it!!! Between the morning sickness (if you had it, I was lucky enough not to....but it was only a small victory....) and the acne (only mild for me...made me think I was having a boy....) and keeping the secret (which drove me crazy!!!) you are now onto bigger (punn intended) and better things. Mostly.
If you haven't noticed already, you are at the time where most things are starting to get easier. By now, you should have bought some acne face wash for the breakouts (if not, get some. It will help with even mild cases. I like Clean and Clear morning and nighttime, though smell them first) and a more sensitive toothbrush (for those bleeding gums. Good thing it's only temporary), but just because things get easier, doesn't mean there are not things to do. The sneezing and coughing should start, or pick up. Heartburn may start being an issue (it was for me. and AWFUL!!!! Made up for that "no morning sickness"). I also had a VERY hard time with regular tums, the chalkiness made me sick. Luckily they also make 2 different types of chews, which worked a lot better for me. I liked the individually wrapped ones the best because they were easy to bring with me when I was out (in a pocket, bag, wallet, wristlet, etc...). You may also need to get a small pack of liners. Sometimes the right sneeze can make you pee a little. PS. Start working on those kegels!!! For those who do not know, Kegel exercises, also known as pelvic floor exercises, consist of repeatedly contracting and relaxing the muscles that form part of the pelvic floor. They can help prevent the urinary incontinence in your future. For more info, check out www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/womens-health/in-depth/kegel-exercises/art-20045283.
Now, to the fun part of the second trimester. Preparation. Besides that everyone now knows you are pregnant, you get to look forward to learning the gender, and getting ready for your little one/s. This is the trimester where you will absolutely feel your best, so it is the best time to get things done. I started "nesting" pretty early on in the second trimester, but it is still to early to really start buying things. I already had a list of free items on the way, and checked out the boards regularly to see what people were giving away, but part of the problem with getting free things is where to put them. Take this time to clean out your home. Go through your closets, throw things away, and make room for baby. You will be surprised at how easy it is to get rid of things you have held onto now that you are starting a new chapter in your life.
Once you have cleaned out and cleaned up, you will find it a lot easier to start organizing. Pick which room will be the baby room, start storing things you get in the closet, and (if you are like me) start making lists. I did A LOT of research into what I will need and what is a waste of time/money/space. I started an excel spreadsheet to keep track of what I got and what I still needed, with no rush to get it but easier than taking everything out over and over. I started with one box, and got more as I needed them. By the end of the second trimester, I had 1 for bottles, 1 for clothing (mostly hand-me-downs, but a few things I couldn't resist), 1 for pacifiers, 1 for formula, 1 for diapers.....you get the idea. I am more than happy to share my lists, but keep in mind, everyone is different (it will be the next post). It may also be a good time to paint the baby room. If you do not know the sex, a neutral color (like gray) may be your best bet, because anything can be made more gender specific with decorations. Just make sure the room is WELL ventilated and take breaks! Drink plenty of water, and ask for help. It can be a very tedious job for a pregnant mama.
Something that comes up a lot during pregnancy chats is if and when it is safe to get your hair and nails done. While the choice is ultimately yours, at the discretion of your doctor, I do not recommend it. If it is something you really think you need, do it at home (preferably outside) and save the fumes and money for the next few months. Trust me, no one is looking at your hands and feet when your belly is growing, and with the swelling, you don't WANT them to.... As with hair, definitely no bleach. I opted out because I use red dye and it is not considered the safest color, but if you do, make sure your stylist knows and that it is very well ventilated. They may even come to your house to help limit your exposure during this time.
The last thing I want to touch base on today is clothing. You may have already bought some larger sized clothing, or leggings, and hopefully some belly bands, but this is NOT the time to start letting yourself go. As the end of the second trimester starts to arrive, you should "pop"!! This means that you are absolutely showing and there is no hiding it. You no longer look "fat", but completely pregnant and it is time to flaunt it. Take pride in this time of your life and show it off. You are going to be a mommy and that is the best part about all of this! Start looking at those maternity clothes. They are A LOT cuter than they used to be. And most shorts and pants have built in belly bands, which are GREAT for supporting the belly AND for the increased amount of times you now have to pee. I have found super cute denim shorts in both black and blue and denim and jegging style pants in black, blue, gray, red and green. Tops, dresses and skirts are easier to find in many cute colors, styles and quotes (my favorite one I got says "You're kicking me smalls" - The Sandlot, duh!). In my experience, I had my best luck at Macy's and Kohls. The sections are small, but with so many locations, you can check a few different ones out. I have found that each one has different things to find. And the prices are great!!! Especially in the clearance area. I got some pants for $5-$10 and nursing tanks (later on) for $8. While a lot of people rave about Destination Maternity (and they do have sales and outlets), I found it silly to spend $50-$200 per piece of clothing that I am only wearing for a few months (though you will probably need them for about 2 months after you give birth). Keep in mind at this time too that you are not done growing. If it even feels slightly on the tight side, go up a size or two. You will be filling it out before you know it. Don't go huge, but a little extra growing room is nice. And, don't go crazy with buying a lot! Just enough to make several different outfits to wear to work and some more comfy ones for the weekend. One dress at this point is fine, if you think you need it.
Hope that this has given you some insight into what to expect in the coming months. And, there is plenty more to come!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment