Some things I have not even touched base on yet are clogs and mastitis. I have only had a clog once. It took about a week of massaging and hot showers and pumping to get it out. It was not painful, but quite annoying. I could tell DD (Dear Daughter) was frustrated too with how little was coming out of that boob. I am lucky enough to not have had mastitis, but it has only been 3.5 months, so it is still early (knock on wood). I have read up on it and tried to find ways to avoid it, but it seems like there is no sure way to do that. I have even read up on how to reduce pain and engorgement from that and other breastfeeding related issues, but find that hot water, ice packs, massages and feeding/pumping often are the best things (and a prescription from your Dr. when necessary, esp when it comes to mastitis).
There are a lot of people on the internet (the WORST place for treatment) that claim cabbage leaves are great for breasts. Here is my major issue with that.... it cannot do everything and is dangerous. What do I mean? Well, you will find a lot of pages about how it is great for breastfeeding moms when they are in pain or engorged. First, if you are in pain, please see a Dr. or LC (Lactation Consultant). It could be something as simple as nipple and breast tenderness that happens around your period or when you are ovulating (yes, that will happen), or it could be a sign of something serious, or that something may be wrong (latch, ties, etc). Second, if you are engorged, and not close to a feeding, than pumping would give relief as well as help you to build up a stash for that bottle I warned you will be needed. Third, there are also a lot of pages that tell you how it helps dry up your milk when you are weaning. If that is the case, that why would you EVER do it while breastfeeding???? That is extremely counterproductive. These people are completely contradicting each other. Finally, the most serious thing is that cabbage can cause Listeriosis. This is a SERIOUS infection that comes from eating contaminated foods and primarily affects pregnant woman and newborns because of their weakened immune systems. While you are not ingesting it, are you sure that after hours of them on and even after taking a shower, that all of the germs are off of you and dead before you go to feed your baby?? Maybe, but I would never want to take that risk!!
Back to those bottles. I needed them early on because of cracked, bleeding nipples (as I'm sure I have mentioned several times already). I repeat it because on top of my DD have a lip tie, NO ONE told me that your nipple has to be at the top part of your LO's mouth. Maybe you do not have to worry about this, Some nipples naturally point up. Lucky you. Mine don't. Apparently they point slightly down. Who would have ever thought? I sure didn't. Strangely enough, it was my best friend who pointed it out while I was struggling to get a latch my first week home. Two seconds later, I'm feeding without a problem. The reason I bring it up is because bottle are the same way. In order for your LO to get a good latch on a bottle, it has to be at the top of their mouth. You figure somewhere this would be taught, but no. The classes I took at my hospital before giving birth went over diapering, swaddling, and breathing, but not different was of feeding or how to put a baby to sleep (which will be my next post).
And now we are back to why I have a blog to begin with. I love my DD more than anything in this world. I call her Baby Girl, Peanut, Sweetie. But, I still call her my little brat as well. When she pinches my nipple when taking a break while feeding. When she pulls my hair, Covers me with puke. Pees on the changing table. Throws her paci (yes, takes it out of her mouth at 3 months and THROWS it). She may be my brat, but she is teaching me everything I need to know about taking care of her and more. She is teaching me how to be a mom. The best job in the world.

No comments:
Post a Comment